WATTS OF LOVE & CHALK COUTURE
We’re feeling the love and light with Watts of Love (WOL)! You can help spread your light in the world by supporting Chalk Couture’s charity partnership with WOL. Just purchase one of our originally designed WOL Transfers and $2 goes directly to WOL. You can also click on a donation amount when shopping under the Watts of Love tab, or even round up your order when shopping on my Chalk Site!
Chalk Couture has a commitment through 2021 to the people of Malawi, the sixth poorest nation in the world. With a population of 17 million people, almost all of whom live without electricity, we can change their families’ lives with access to safe, renewable, solar lighting.
NEARLY 1 BILLION PEOPLE LIVE WITHOUT ELECTRICITY
That means more people live in darkness today than when the first light bulb was invented.
Of the nearly 1 billion people living without electricity, most rely on dangerous, toxic, and expensive kerosene as their primary source of light. Access to solar lighting increases household income, improves health, enhances child development, and starts people on the pathway to prosperity.
- Smoke from hazardous cooking and lighting methods kills nearly 2 million people annually, most of them women and children.
- More women are severely burned by kerosene-related accidents each year than are diagnosed with HIV and TB combined. *
- Lighting costs of kerosene make up 20%-30% of annual household budgets, even when kerosene is subsidized.
- Breathing kerosene fumes is the equivalent of smoking two packs of cigarettes a day. Two-thirds of adult females with lung cancer in developing nations are non-smokers. *
- Kerosene lamps emit large amounts of CO2, which contributes significantly to global warming. Eradicating kerosene positively impacts climate change.
We break the cycle of dependency on costly and dangerous kerosene by empowering individuals with a pathway to economic self-sufficiency through access to solar technology.